SafeLink Wireless is a phone service provider that offers free services and smartphones to low-income groups of people and is funded by the government.
However, the plans may not be as great as other service providers which also offer free service and smartphones.
While Safelink offers 68 minutes of talk time per month with their free phone and no text or data, with Assurance Wireless you get 500 minutes of talk time and unlimited text per month.
If you are planning to switch from Safelink to Assurance Wireless, it is a smart move because of more talk time and text per month along with good network coverage of AT&T towers.
The choice of smartphones available in Assurance Wireless is more than Safelink so you get your preference of phone with free service.
So, if you are ready to switch then read on to know how to switch from Safelink to Assurance Wireless.
Safelink Wireless is a service provider that is associated with Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program to offer free smartphones and phone service.
To qualify for receiving a free phone you have to do the following:
- A part of the Government Assistance Program which includes Medicaid, Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8, Special Supplemental Nutritional Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and others.
- You can also show your income as proof that your earning is below 135% of Federal Poverty guidelines.
- Proof of Permanent Residency in the U.S. with a valid physical address.
- Documents showing proof that you are a part of the Government Assistance Program and income proof.
After you qualify with the above requirements, you can apply for an application to receive a free phone and after the application is approved you will receive the phone with free service.
Safelink offers 68 minutes of free talk time per month but no texts or data with their free phone. Also, the phone is allotted per house and not for an individual.
What is Assurance Wireless?
Assurance Wireless is a service provider that is also part of Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program to offer free smartphones and phone service.
It operates on T-mobile towers with network coverage in most of the U.S. region. You can receive a free phone from Assurance Wireless provided you qualify for it.
Similar to Safelink, the qualifying requirement is the same which includes being part of the Government Assistance Programs and showing income proof that your earning is below 135% of Federal Poverty guidelines.
When you qualify you can apply for a free phone and receive the phone after approval from Assurance Wireless.
Comparison Between SafeLink and Assurance Wireless
In terms of the plan, Assurance Wireless offers better plans with a choice of phones from various brands than Safelink. With a free Assurance Wireless phone, you get 500 minutes of talk time along with unlimited texts per month.
The choice of compatible phones includes companies like Samsung, LG, Virgin Mobile and Alcatel. The talk time, texts and choice of smartphones are enough to switch from Safelink to Assurance Wireless.
Both Assurance Wireless and Safelink are associated with Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program to offer free smartphones and phone service.
Assurance Wireless offers better plans than Safelink which can be convincing for many users to switch from Safelink to Assurance Wireless.
You can also replace your phone from Assurance Wireless if it malfunctions within the warranty period.
However, you should also check for the network availability that offers the best services in your area to be able to maximize the benefits of using the service provider.
The talk time and texts offered by Assurance Wireless are a bonus to the free phone along with the network coverage from some of the major network operators.
What To Do Before Making A Switch From SafeLink To Assurance Wireless?
Before you make a switch to Assurance Wireless from SafeLink, check the eligibility criteria to apply for the application to receive a free smartphone.
Although the eligibility criteria are similar to Safelink, it is still better to check and apply for the free smartphone.
To qualify to receive a free phone from Assurance Wireless you have to be a part of Government Assistance Programs or show proof of income that shows your income is below 137% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
How To Switch From SafeLink To Assurance Wireless?
To switch from Safelink to Assurance Wireless, ensure you’re eligible for Assurance Wireless’s free phone program. You can keep your Safelink number. Simply use the SIM card to facilitate the switch. Afterwards, activate the Assurance Wireless service on your new device using the Safelink SIM card, maintaining your original number.
Below are the steps to make a switch from SafeLink to Assurance Wireless:
- Switch off your Safelink phone and remove the Safelink SIM card.
- Insert the Safelink SIM card into the slot of the Assurance Wireless phone.
- Switch on your Assurance Wireless phone.
You have to activate the service from Assurance Wireless to start using their service on your phone.
Follow the steps mentioned below to activate your Assurance Wireless service:
- Switch off your phone and then allow the phone to start hands-free activation. It will also check for any updates before switching off.
- When the phone switches on, you can skip the customization step and proceed to the next step.
- Dial 611 from your phone. You will hear instructions to activate the service. Follow the prompts to complete the activation process.
- Enter the PIN of the Assurance Wireless account when prompted. You can find the PIN at the top of the approval letter you received from Assurance Wireless.
- After entering the PIN, your phone will be ready to use.
The steps for activating your Assurance Wireless service are straightforward. However, if you still face any issues, you can call Assurance Wireless customer support at 1-888-898-4888 to speak with the representative.