Are you planning to switch from Q Link to SafeLink? Q Link and SafeLink both offer free wireless services to eligible low-income groups of people under the Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP).
Q Link is a wireless service provider which provides free or discounted service of unlimited calls, text or data to its eligible Lifeline customers.
Although the services offered by both wireless service providers are similar there can be other reasons to switch from Q Link to SafeLink which include moving to a location where Q Link does not offer service.
Another reason can be you need a free smartphone along with the phone service. Whatever your reasons are it is better to make an informed decision by looking at services offered by Q Link And SafeLink.
So, if you are ready to switch then read on to know how to switch from Q Link to SafeLink.
What Is SafeLink Wireless?
Safelink Wireless is a service provider that is associated with Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program to offer free smartphones and phone service.
To qualify for receiving a free phone you have to do the following:
- A part of the Government Assistance Program which includes Medicaid, Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8, Special Supplemental Nutritional Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and others.
- You can also show your income as proof that your earning is below 135% of Federal Poverty guidelines.
- Proof of Permanent Residency in the U.S. with a valid physical address.
- Documents showing proof that you are a part of the Government Assistance Program and income proof.
After you qualify with the above requirements, you can apply for an application to receive a free phone and after the application is approved you will receive the phone with free service.
Comparison Between Q Link and SafeLink
In terms of coverage, SafeLink has better network coverage as it uses Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile than Q Link which uses only T-Mobile network towers. SafeLink offers a free smartphone with its service while Q Link offers a tablet at a discount. SafeLink and Q Link both offer free unlimited calls, texts and data.
Both Q Link and SafeLink are associated with Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program to offer free smartphones and phone services.
With many similarities between the Q Link and SafeLink, it comes down to your needs and preferences when switching from Q Link to SafeLink.
You should also check for the network availability that offers the best services in your area to be able to maximize the benefits of using the service provider.
What To Do Before Making A Switch From Q Link to SafeLink?
Before you make a switch to SafeLink check the eligibility criteria to apply for the application to receive a free smartphone.
Although the eligibility criteria are the same for all Lifeline programs and ACP, it is still better to check before you apply for the SafeLink free smartphone and service.
When switching from Q Link to SafeLink check that your device is compatible, unlocked and not reported as lost or stolen. You should also keep your account active with Q Link.
How To Switch From Q Link to SafeLink?
To switch from Q Link to SafeLink you only need a compatible and unlocked phone. You have to call the customer support of SafeLink at 1-800-378-1684 and speak to the representative. You can inform them about the switch and provide all the necessary information.
You are not required to purchase a new SIM card when switching to SafeLink and can also bring your Q Link smartphone to SafeLink. You will receive a new SIM card in the mail from SafeLink.
Below are the steps to switch from Q Link to SafeLink:
- Ensure that you are eligible for Lifeline programs and ACP to get the service from SafeLink.
- Contact the customer service of SafeLink at 1-800-378-1684 and speak to the representative. Inform them about transferring the benefits and provide the necessary information. Also, mention if you want to keep your existing phone number.
- You will receive the SafeLink SIM card in the mail after you speak to the representative about making a switch.
- When you receive the SIM card. Switch off your Q Link phone and remove the Q Link SIM card.
- Insert the SafeLink SIM card into the slot of the new phone.
- Switch on your phone to activate the service.
You have to activate the service from SafeLink to start using their service on your phone. To activate your SafeLink SIM card on a new phone follow the steps mentioned below:
- Text “ONESTEP” to 611611.
- You will be prompted to enter the last four digits number of your new SIM card number.
- After you enter the number, you will receive a set of instructions to complete the activation of your new SIM card.