Are you tired of constantly worrying about exceeding your data limit and being charged extra fees by your mobile carrier?
If so, you may want to consider switching to Google Fi’s Simply Unlimited plan.
This plan offers unlimited data, calls, and texts for a flat monthly fee, with no hidden charges or surprises. But is it worth it?
In this article, we’ll provide a comprehensive review of Google Fi’s Simply Unlimited plan, so you can decide if it’s the right choice for you.
What is Google Fi Simply Unlimited?
Google Fi Simply Unlimited is a mobile phone plan that promises unlimited data, calls, and texts within the U.S., as well as in Canada and Mexico.
It’s designed for people who want a simple, no-fuss plan with predictable billing and the convenience of an unlimited data allowance.
Google Fi Simply Unlimited Pricing Structure
For a single user, the Simply Unlimited Plan costs $50 per month, which is a competitive rate in the market, especially considering the inclusive international features.
The plan’s pricing becomes even more attractive for families or groups, as Google Fi offers a reduced rate per line when additional lines are added, making it a cost-effective solution for multiple users.
Detailed Features of the Simply Unlimited Plan
- Unlimited Data: The cornerstone of the Simply Unlimited Plan is its unlimited data offering. Subscribers can use up to 35GB of high-speed data per month, which caters to the needs of most smartphone users today. Whether it’s streaming music and video, engaging in video calls, or simply browsing the internet, the high-speed data cap is sufficient for typical usage. If a user exceeds this cap, Google Fi implements data throttling to manage network traffic, which may result in slower speeds but still allows for basic online activities without additional charges.
- Hotspot Tethering: With the inclusion of 5GB of dedicated hotspot data, the plan acknowledges the modern necessity of sharing one’s mobile connection. This feature is particularly useful for users who need to connect laptops or tablets to the internet on the go, providing a reliable connection without the need for public Wi-Fi.
- International Benefits: One of the most compelling aspects of the Simply Unlimited Plan is its international usage component. Data access is available in over 200 countries at no extra cost, which is a remarkable feature for those who travel abroad. This eliminates the need for purchasing local SIM cards or incurring roaming fees, providing convenience and savings.
- Unlimited Calls to Mexico and Canada: Adding to its international appeal, the plan includes unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada. This is an invaluable feature for users who have family, friends, or business connections in these countries, as it removes concerns about international calling rates and allows for seamless communication across borders
Limitations of the Simply Unlimited Plan
Despite its many benefits, the Simply Unlimited Plan from Google Fi is not without its limitations, which could affect certain types of users.
Google Fi Simply Unlimited Data Throttling
- 35GB High-Speed Data Cap: While the plan offers unlimited data, it’s important to note that only the first 35GB are at high speed. For users who frequently stream high-definition video, play online games, or engage in other data-intensive activities, this cap might be reached sooner than expected.
- Throttled Speeds: Once the 35GB threshold is crossed, Google Fi reduces the data speed to manage network resources. This throttling can significantly impact the user experience, particularly for tasks that require high bandwidth, such as video conferencing or streaming. Users will still be able to send emails, browse the web, and use social media, but they may experience slower loading times and reduced video quality.
Google Fi Simply Unlimited Hotspot Data
- 5GB Hotspot Allowance: The Simply Unlimited Plan includes 5GB of hotspot data, which is a separate cap from the 35GB of high-speed on-device data. This is a key consideration for those who rely on their phone’s hotspot feature to provide internet access for other devices, such as laptops or tablets.
- Hotspot Speed Limitation: After the allotted 5GB of hotspot usage, the speeds will be throttled, potentially impacting productivity for those who need a fast and reliable connection on multiple devices while on the move.