Are you interested in opening a Navy Federal Credit Union account but not part of the military?
If so, this article is for you. We’ll walk you through the process of becoming a member of Navy Federal Credit Union without being in the military
how to get a Navy federal account without being military
Family and Household Members
If you have an immediate family member who is already a part of NFCU, you’re in luck.
Immediate family members, including parents, grandparents, spouses, siblings, children (including adopted and stepchildren), and grandchildren can join NFCU.
Even household members, which can include roommates or anyone who lives and shares financial responsibilities in your home, are eligible for membership.
Department of Defense Civilians
If you’re a civilian employee, U.S. Government employee assigned to DoD installations, DoD contractor assigned to U.S. Government installations, or a DoD retiree, you can join NFCU.
This extends to those who work directly with the U.S. armed forces or have a relationship with the Department of Defense through their work.
Select Employee Groups (SEGs)
NFCU has partnerships with various employer groups and associations. If you’re an employee or a member of one of these Select Employee Groups, you may be eligible to join.
It’s worth checking with your employer or any associations you’re a member of to see if this is an option for you.
Navy League of the United States
In the past, joining a support organization like the Navy League of the United States was a pathway to NFCU membership.
However, policies can change, so it’s important to check with both NFCU and such organizations for the most current information.
Affiliations and Other Connections
The NFCU occasionally extends membership eligibility to other groups as well.
For example, if you are affiliated with an organization or community that has a relationship with the military or the Department of Defense, you might be eligible to join.
How to Apply
Once you’ve determined your eligibility, applying for a Navy Federal account is straightforward.
You can apply online, over the phone, or by visiting a local branch. You’ll need to provide personal information, such as your Social Security number, driver’s license or government ID, current home address, and a credit card or bank account routing number to fund your new account.
How to Apply Online for a Navy Federal Account
To apply for a Navy Federal account online, follow these steps:
- Access the Official Website: Begin by visiting the official Navy Federal Credit Union website at navyfederal.org.
- Initiate the Membership Application: On the homepage, look for the “Become A Member” button. This is typically prominently displayed and easy to find.
- Complete the Application Form: Once you click on the “Become A Member” button, you’ll be directed to the membership application page. Here, you will need to fill out the form with your personal information. This includes:
- Your full legal name and any previous names if applicable.
- A valid driver’s license or government-issued ID number, along with the expiration date.
- Your Social Security number (SSN) to verify your identity and to comply with federal regulations.
- Your current physical address, email address, and phone number.
- Employment information, if required.
- A method to fund your account, which could be a credit card, debit card, or existing bank account details for an electronic funds transfer. You will need to provide the routing number and account number if you’re transferring funds from another bank account.
- Review Your Information: Before submitting your application, carefully review all the information you’ve entered for accuracy. This will help avoid any delays in processing your application.
- Submit the Application: After reviewing, agree to the terms and conditions and submit your application. You may be prompted to upload additional documentation to verify your identity or eligibility for membership.
- Await Confirmation: Once you’ve submitted the application, Navy Federal will review your information. If additional verification is needed, they may contact you. After your application is approved, you will receive a confirmation, and your account will be set up.
- Set Up Digital Banking: With your account now open, you can set up digital banking services to manage your account online. This includes setting up online banking, downloading the mobile app, and getting access to other NFCU digital tools.