Zelle is a popular digital payment service that allows users to send and receive money quickly and easily.
However, many people wonder if it is possible for someone to hack into their Zelle account using just their phone number.
While it is possible for someone to try and hack your Zelle account with your phone number, it is not easy to do so and there are several steps you can take to protect yourself.
One way that someone could potentially hack into a Zelle account using a phone number is by using a technique called “SIM swapping.” This involves tricking a phone carrier into transferring a person’s phone number to a new SIM card, which the hacker can then use to gain access to the person’s Zelle account.
To protect yourself from SIM swapping attacks, here are some technical steps you can take:
- Use two-factor authentication: Most banks and financial institutions, including Zelle, offer two-factor authentication as an additional layer of security. This involves using a password and a one-time code sent to your phone or email to log in to your account.
- Use a strong, unique password: Make sure to use a strong, unique password for your Zelle account and avoid using the same password for multiple accounts.
- Monitor your accounts: Regularly check your bank and Zelle accounts for any unauthorized activity or transactions.
- Contact your phone carrier: If you suspect that someone has tried to SIM swap your phone number, contact your phone carrier immediately to report the issue and request additional security measures.
- Enable fraud alerts: Many banks and financial institutions offer fraud alerts that can notify you of any suspicious activity on your account. Enable these alerts to stay informed and take action quickly if necessary.
It is also important to note that someone cannot hack into a Zelle account using just a phone number.
They would also need access to the account holder’s password and two-factor authentication code, which makes it much more difficult to hack into an account.